1. Make sure you have enough money.
* Determine how much you have to invest, how much you’re willing to risk and how much you will need to live on for at least 12 months.
* Make sure you understand the initial investment required.
* Make a careful and rational decision about buying the franchise.
2. Follow the system.
* Franchisees often get their business up and running and then begin to change, add or modify existing advertising, hours, services, and even the quality.
* By following the system, you:
o preserve the brand
o protect your investment and that of your fellow franchisees
3. Don’t neglect your family and friends.
* Be prepared to work long hours, but also make sure to budget time for your family and friends.
* Don’t forget to acknowledge the sacrifices your family makes.
* Allow your family and friends to share in your new life.
4. Recruit the best and treat them with respect.
* Good help is hard to find-great help is essential.
* To keep the good staff, you’ve hired:
o Be fair. Don’t show favoritism.
o Work with your staff to develop the schedule.
o Treat your employees with respect.
o Make their workdays challenging.
o Provide timely performance reviews and wage salary increases.
o In franchising, training should be continuous. Employees are you front line.
5. Give customers great service.
* The most important thing you can do is to get everyone to smile!
* Let the customer know you’re happy they chose your business.
6. Get involved with the community. Customers like to shop in places that support them.
* sponsor Little League team
* support a civic or youth group
* set up a kiosk at community events